iOS 10.3 Update Brings Cricket Scores, Find My AirPods, and More to iPhones, iPads3
Apple has released iOS 10.3, macOS 10.12.4 Sierra, tvOS 10.2, and watchOS 3.2 updates to the general public, after running them in beta for a while. These updates bring bug fixes and improvements across entire Apple’s product lineup, the big highlight being the ability for Siri to show live scores from Indian Premier League (IPL) and International Cricket Council (ICC) cricket matches, apart from answering other queries.
First up, iOS 10.3 brings along the ‘Find My AirPods’ feature – a much needed addition given the nature of the tiny accessory. This feature is found in the Find My iPhone app, and it means that you can search for the AirPods from the app, as long as they are within Bluetooth range of any of your iOS devices signed into iCloud. Because of the limited range, it isn’t as efficient as Find My iPhone, but it’s still handy if you lose your AirPods somewhere in your house. Within the app, you can look for the pair, or just one earbud, as you prefer. The AirPods will start emitting a loud sound revealing its hiding place, or the map onscreen can also take you to the lost earbud easily.
Furthermore, Siri gets the ability to show live cricket scores from matches of the IPL and the ICC. The digital assistant will give you real-time ball-by-ball update of the most popular game format in India, a handy feature for all cricket fans in the country (especially with IPL season 10 just around the corner). You can even ask Siri other IPL-related questions like ‘What are the 2016 IPL rankings?’, ‘Who leads the IPL in runs scored?’, ‘Show me Virat Kohli stats’, ‘When is the next Cricket match?’, and Siri will reply immediately. Match schedules and player rosters can also be checked.
Furthermore, Apple has also added a system-wide API that allows app developers to ask for a review, and even reply to it – building developer-customer dialogue, and iOS 10.3 also brings iCloud Analytics for the first time. The entire changelog is below:
iOS 10.3 introduces new features including the ability to locate AirPods using Find my iPhone and more ways to use Siri with payment, ride booking and automaker apps.
iOS 10.3 new features
Find My iPhone
- View the current or last known location of your AirPods
- Play a sound on one or both AirPods to help you find them
- Support for paying and checking status of bills with payment apps
- Support for scheduling with ride booking apps
- Support for checking car fuel level, lock status, turning on lights and activating horn with automaker apps
- Cricket sports scores and statistics for Indian Premier League and International Cricket Council
- Shortcuts in the status bar for easy access to last used apps
- Apple Music Now Playing screen gives access to Up Next and the currently playing song’s album
- Daily curated playlists and new music categories in Apple Music
Other improvements and fixes
- Rent once and watch your iTunes movies across your devices
- New Settings unified view for your Apple ID account information, settings and devices
- Hourly weather in Maps using 3D Touch on the displayed current temperature
- Support for searching “parked car” in Maps
- Calendar adds the ability to delete an unwanted invite and report it as junk
- Home app support to trigger scenes using accessories with switches and buttons
- Home app support for accessory battery level status
- Podcasts support for 3D Touch and Today widget to access recently updated shows
- Podcast shows or episodes are shareable to Messages with full playback support
- Fixes an issue that could prevent Maps from displaying your current location after resetting Location & Privacy
- VoiceOver stability improvements for Phone, Safari and Mail